Thursday, February 23, 2012

Kids have the right idea……

When I was a kid nothing made me happier then than to spend time sitting on the lake fishing with my father in the summer time. We would talk about everything under the sun and I can say that’s where I learned a few life lessons. We would rejoice in how many fish caught, laughed at things people did throughout the day on the lake and just truly enjoyed each other company. I could talk to him about anything. I can still smell the sweet breeze that would blow as I recall these imagines in my head. But as we become adults we feel as though we need more….more money, bigger house and all of the material things that symbolize that we’ve arrived. Now don’t get me wrong; do I want and need a bigger house with a growing family? YES! Would I like to make more money at my current job? Absolutely! And those that know me can tell you that I am not a “materialist” person but you get the point; having “stuff” is not a bad thing. However, I have and forever believe that it’s the little things that truly make a person happy.


On a daily basis I expect my children to do as I say and learn the lessons I am trying to teach them about responsibilities and life. There are times I get frustrated because they don’t do what they are told or pay attention to what I am trying to teach them. When I come home after work I get tackled with hugs and kisses as if I have been away from home for weeks at a time. During the week and on the weekends I can’t seem to get a moment to myself because my kids always want to be around me. Now I can take it as a compliment as being a cool mom or get frustrated because my house is never quiet unless they are in the bed. I just know that they love me no matter what.

Nothing makes my kids happier then to spend time with me and it does not matter if we are home, window shopping or at the library. I realized that history has been repeating its self the whole time and I had not even noticed it. It was not the children that had not learned the lesson but it was me as an adult. (As you know, adults are all knowing….NOT) Kids show us every day that it’s the little things such as hugs, kisses and a simple I love you that makes them happy. It’s sitting on the couch on a Friday night with a greasy bag of popcorn that might be slightly burnt watching a movie that we have seen 10 times before. It’s not about the movie or the burnt popcorn but about the time they get to be in that space, in that moment and time with me.

With kids, it’s not about money or”things” it’s about time spent with each other. So for a moment, forget about the house, the money and things and spend something that money can NEVER buy no matter how much you have which is time. So no matter how frustrated I get with my kids I hope they never change because kids have the right idea……it’s us as adults that have it twisted.

No comments:

Post a Comment